Monday, June 20, 2011

Money, Money, Money…..MONEY!

Are you seeing Donald Trump in your mind right now like I am?  I used to love that show.  Ok, so the point of this blog post is not to talk about The Apprentice or Donald Trump’s net worth.  It is to talk about my view of the green stuff.  Like everything in my life, I hope that my view resembles God’s view and I don’t just sound like a class of 5th graders learning to play the recorder. 

It seems that Marcel and I have been surrounded lately by the message of money.  Our church recently did a series on our economy and how our view and use of money is completely backwards as a nation (our economy is based on usury and debt…a man made system bound to fail).  The message of money has also been in a lot of my conversations lately, when I turn on the radio, when I pick up something to read, etc.  It seems to be everywhere.  More often than not, God is speaking in these reoccurring messages and wanting me to get something!  So now it’s taking the time to listen and figure out what that is.

I think the message that’s been spoken to me is not just a personal message, but a global one (thus my blog post).  It really is very simple and something we all know, but don’t often practice.  It is this, DO NOT WORRY.  Our security is in God and not money.  We must repent of the lack mentality and realize that God is the God of abundance.  There is not only one pie that we each need to fight for in order to get our share.  The pies are limitless and they come in all flavors!  Does this mean everyone will be rich and using dollar bills as napkins?  No!  Does it mean God will provide for our needs, just as he does the birds in the air?  Yes!  Money in itself is not evil.  It is just a tool used to provide for our families and bless others.  Evilness happens when we begin to love money. 

Loving money comes in all different disguises (the devil is tricky like that).  In our American culture, it is easy to think that loving money is something only the wealthy do as they are buying their third house, new Benz and vacationing in an exotic location.  The truth is, a person’s wealth has no correlation to loving money.  Loving money is a matter of the heart and where we place our security.  All walks of life can love money; poor, just making ends meet, middle class, wealthy, ultra wealthy…

In my experience, here is what loving money could look like:
o        Hoarding all of our money and not using it to bless others (stemming from the lack mentality…there is only enough to take care of my needs, I cannot think about the needs of others)
o        Not tithing on a regular basis (God asks us to tithe…He even challenges us and says to give 10% and see how much I will bless you!)
o        Spending an enormous amount of energy to get the best deal.  This is a fine line.  I am very frugal and want to steward my money wisely.  However, I don’t think God wants me obsessing about saving $5 on my grocery bill.  I know a lot of people that pour TONS of time into saving.  It’s almost as if their security is in the amount saved and not God’s provision.
o        Feeling entitled to the finer things in life.  Entitlement can signal a love of money.  God wants to bless us, but we are not entitled to go on nice vacations every year, have the latest gadgets, always wear the best clothes, etc.  We are ESPECIALLY not entitled to these things if it means going into debt to get them.  This leads to my next point…  
o        Having a large amount of consumer debt.  God says that the debtor is a slave to the lender.  God has called us to freedom, not bondage.  On the flip side of this, being debt free is not your security either.  God is always the source no matter how much debt you have.

I know there are many other symptoms that signal a heart that loves money, but these are just the few that God has been speaking to me over the last few weeks and years quite truthfully.  For us personally, we have worked really hard to pay down our student loan and automobile debt.  God has really blessed this area of our lives with faithful provision and the conviction to work REALLY hard for this freedom.  However, along the way I’ve been caught putting my security in the lack of debt and not in God.  I would find myself saying, “if we could just get rid of this student loan, then I would feel more secure.”  That, my friend, is putting my security in my net worth and ultimately loving money.  Fortunately God is so merciful and is assisting me on this journey to put ALL of my trust in Him.

3 comments:

  1. Well stated! I always try to keep a balanced perspective when it comes to money matters too. It seems so easy to let it become a distraction from the big picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great post! Convicting yet so true!
    It is interesting you mentioned the savings thing. For some reason, that "over the top" couponing obsession has never set right with me...and I think that's why...because it comes from a place of fearing you won't have enough. Obviously, being wise is important (as you said), but so much time is wasted when you obsess over every penny.

    God has taught me a lot about money over the years. I seem to go in and out of totally trusting in Him, then realizing I put too much trust in money. I think the love of money is a major sin of Western culture, and I pray that my love for God exceeds any money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Thank you for allowing me to not feel guilty for not always being willing to unload two little girls just to save $1.50 on blueberries! Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. It just depends on what other activities it would be taking away from! Great post!

    ReplyDelete