Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Don’t Confuse Happiness with Joy

I heard a preacher on the radio the other day say that you can measure the depths of your fellowship with the Lord by the amount of joy you have in your everyday life.  God has taught me a lot about biblical joy over the last 5 years.  The bible says that in God’s presence there is FULLNESS of joy.  So the more I intentionally seek the presence of God, the more joy I will have.  But what about those days, weeks, seasons, etc. that are pretty much poo on a plate?!?  That is where we must understand the biblical definition of joy versus the world’s definition of joy.
The world uses joy and happiness interchangeably, but they are not the same.  Happiness is dependent on your circumstances.  To some, happiness might be sipping a Starbucks coffee with a good book.  Others might find happiness on payday.  Yet others might find happiness when life presents an exciting new challenge (i.e. new job, a mission trip, a move to a new city, etc).  Regardless, happiness is temporary.  It can be here in a moment and gone in the next.  Unhappiness takes over as circumstances change.  God is the creator of everything, including emotions.  They are part of life.  There will be seasons of life for all emotions.
But Joy!  That does not have to be temporary.  Walking with God produces a joy that is beyond our circumstances.  The bank account is empty?  Boom, God said He is my provider.  Someone close to me is very ill?  Bam, God said He is my comforter, the healer, my ever present help in times of trouble.  A friend just betrayed my trust?  Boom, God said He would never leave me nor forsake me.  I feel lonely and discouraged?  Bam, God said He is with me always.  There is not a place I can go to hide from Him. 
One single taste of this joy will leave you hungry for more.  There is POWER in this joy.  There is power to see heaven move on your behalf.  There is power knowing that this joy comes from the one sitting at the right hand interceding on your behalf.  We must seek the presence of God above everything.  Above religion, familiarity, comfort, tradition, theology…everything.  I dare you to seek out this joy!  100% satisfaction guaranteed!

No comments:

Post a Comment