Thursday, April 14, 2011

Creatures of Comfort

I work in an industry that is very dynamic and constantly changing.  At times it is down right chaotic.  On one hand it is exciting.  The overall experience of the work environment remains very fluid and seldom becomes stale.  On the other hand, it can feel rather unstable.  Just as you get in a groove and think you can breathe a bit, BAM the next big change comes and your world is once again turned upside down.  It is interesting to sit back and observe people in this environment.  We humans tend to gravitate towards comfort and familiarity.  When our comfort zone is threatened, it is easy to go in attack mode and do everything we can to prevent the change.  Sometimes we spend more energy attacking than if we would have just stared the circumstance in the face and figured out how we need to adjust.  Our company has seen major change over the past five years and time and time again those that rise to the top are the ones that remain flexible, embrace the change and adjust.  It is really quite amazing.  It’s not their resume, or number of degrees or vast technical expertise.  It’s their adaptability and willingness to step outside of their comfort zone.  The rest of the population (my father would call them “comfort zone junkies”) remains flat or worse.  They expel so much energy talking against the change and fighting “the man,” that I wonder how many years they are removing from their life due to high blood pressure!

I find myself somewhere in the middle to be quite truthful.  I’m not a comfort zone junkie but I am also not one that thrives on lots and lots of change.  Change can be fun, but I can definitely feel my blood pressure rise at times when my comfort is threatened.  This is where my husband balances me (thank God!).  I could come home one evening and say, “Honey, I’ve accepted a new job.  We have to move to Canada.  Oh, and I already bought our new house.  I hope you like it!”  He would say something like, “Oh cool!  When do we move?”  He is the ultimate embracer of change.  I don’t know if he has a comfort zone?!?  Anyway, I’ll wrap this up.  This was just an observation that I’ve noticed after spending the last several years in Corporate America.  Change is inevitable no matter where you are in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment