Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Maternity Leave and Other Stuff

So I am back to work after my eight week maternity leave.  My three maternity leaves have all been such a sacred time in my life.  It is a wonderful season and one I am never quite ready to let go of.  I could take a 6 month maternity leave and it still wouldn’t be enough!  It’s as if I am living in a little bubble; sheltered from the world with nothing to focus on but me and my precious little baby.  My first maternity leave was only 6 weeks.  I know the difference between 6 and 8 weeks doesn’t seem like a lot, but it is HUGE!  My advice to all new moms – if you can swing it, 8 weeks should be the minimum.  By 8 weeks, your body is mostly back to normal (assuming you had a “normal” delivery), you are sleeping a bit more and there will be some part of you (even if it’s just a tiny speck) that will be ready for your normal routine.

Now to talk about the hardest part of the whole process…leaving that tiny bundle of joy with someone else.  I admit that leaving the third was less dramatic than leaving my first but it is still SO hard.  Be comforted that it does get better.  Here is some advice that I would offer to those moms facing this situation:

o        Pray, pray, pray before selecting a daycare provider.  Ask God to give you peace about the daycare environment he has for your child.  He WILL give it to you (Ask and you shall receive…)
o        View your daycare provider (and her family if you are going to an in home provider) as an extension of your family.  This is a partnership.  They are NOT raising your kids, but they are coming along side you for this journey to help care for and mold your child into the person God intends them to be.
o        That said, realize that your daycare provider will NOT do everything exactly the way you would.  You need to decide on those items that you will not compromise on and those that you can just let roll off your back because ultimately it doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things.  One example from our personal daycare journey is pets.  We are not pet people, but our daycare providers have always had dogs.  This is not a deal breaker for us.  Actually Jadon being exposed to dogs has helped him outgrow his allergy to them!
o        Leave the office at the office and let the joy of seeing your little one consume you during your non-paid-working hours.
o        Let go of your guilt for being a working mother and CHOOSE to enjoy the moment. 
o        Finally, caffeine is just as important as a good breast pump!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about taking as much maternity leave as possible, Michaela. Mine lasted 10 years, and I don't regret it a bit! And there were plenty of years left to go back to work and enjoy that, too!!
    Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete