Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Three Kids

We welcomed our third child into the world a couple of months ago.  There are days that I have felt like a martyr – the only one in the world that would be brave enough to become outnumbered by going from two to three kids.  I know that sounds dramatic, but that is some insight into a few intense moments as we’ve adjusted to three kids.  The birth of each child has brought about moments of intense adjustments as my husband and I learn to care for a new life.  Obviously the first is intense because it’s the first.  You don’t have any experience and everything is a big deal.  Are they still breathing?  Do I need to be playing Mozart in the background as they sleep to increase the chance of molding a genius?  Will I ever sleep again?  Why did they tell me that breast feeding wouldn’t hurt?  Then the second one comes along and in our case it’s an intense adjustment because of extreme colic.  The only question this time is why does this baby hate me?!?  And then the third comes and the intensity is not in the unanswered questions, but the lack of hands!  The intense moments come when I feel all three kids need something from me and I just can’t accomplish them without seeing results after muttering, “Go, go Gadget arms!”  And since that statement leaves me void, I say a little prayer for patience and know that this season of intense adjustment will pass (not that I’m wishing it away by any means).

There are so many wonderful things about experiencing a new life for the third time.  First of all, it’s a new life and that is just plain exciting.  Secondly, I find myself enjoying the moment so much more this time around.  I know all of those intense moments that I just spoke of don’t last long.  She is healthy and has two siblings that absolutely adore her.  I know she won’t die from crying too much if I just don’t have the hands at the moment to pick her up.  I can now get lost in my thoughts when she is screaming in her car seat during car rides.  She actually looks like me!  She melts my heart with her smile.  She toots like a grown man.  She has a father who will raise her to be the cherished diamond that she is (her name, Kya, means Diamond in the Sky) until her husband takes on that role.  She is loved.  Three is good…

No comments:

Post a Comment