Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Few Differences, A Few Things the Same

So as I stated a few weeks ago, I am officially retired from the corporate world.  I’ve gone from a working mother to a laboring mother.  So far the new adventure is absolutely fantastic!  I thought I would share a few of the differences and similarities between my former life as a corporate manager and my current life as a toddler manager. 
·         Only about 2% of my requests in the corporate world were greeted with a “why?” and usually this “why?” was justified.  In toddler speak, about 99.9% of my statements are answered with a “why?”  “Why did God make the sun yellow?”  “Why do we go this way to the library?”  “Why don’t you know, mommy?”
·         Spontaneous dance parties were not part of corporate life.  On a real jumpy day, spontaneous coffee breaks might offer some excitement, but never dance parties.  My three year old’s love for dance means lots of music and movement!!
·         Daily nap times are delightful.  I think this would make corporate world a much brighter place. 
·         Story time now consists of princesses, heroes, candy and enchanted forests.  Most corporate stories offer the same climax that has something to do with money (usually in Power Point form).
·         Brown nosing actually means having a brown nose in my current setting (kids.are.messy).
·         Given my lack of current event knowledge, water cooler conversations are relatively the same (at least from my end).
·         A vendor stalking me to buy their latest software product is not unlike my kidlets begging for a treat.  Neither party takes no for an answer.

Kisses and hugs were not a form of payment in the corporate setting (thank goodness!), but coming from my littles, they are better than a big fat paycheck any day!

1 comment:

  1. Michaela, I love this post. I love all of your posts...they always inspire me! I am so glad you are enjoying your new adventure.

    ReplyDelete